News & Current Affairs

July 11, 2009

Most of Xinjiang dead ‘Chinese’

Filed under: Latest, Politics News — Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , — expressyoureself @ 4:29 pm

Most of Xinjiang dead ‘Chinese’

Chinese security forces line uop on a square in Urumqi, 11 July

Security forces continued to patrol Urumqi on Saturday

Some three-quarters of the victims of the violence in China’s western Xinjiang region were ethnic Han Chinese, the official death toll shows.

Of 184 people known to have died, 137 were Han Chinese, 46 were from the indigenous Uighur community and one was an ethnic Hui, local officials said.

Beijing flooded the regional capital Urumqi with security forces to stem the violence which erupted last Sunday.

Correspondents say some Uighurs believe their own death toll was much higher.

“I’ve heard that more than 100 Uighurs have died but nobody wants to talk about it in public,” one Uighur man in Urumqi who did not want to give his name told the Associated Press news agency.

Uighurs living in exile outside China have also disputed the Chinese figures. Rebiya Kadeer, the US-based head of the World Uighur Congress, said she believed about 500 people had died.

According to the Chinese death toll released by state media, 26 of the 137 Han Chinese victims were female, while all but one of the 45 Uighurs killed were male.

The single death recorded in the Hui community, which is similar to the Uighurs ethnically and religiously, was that of a male.

Advertisements

June 22, 2009

Atlantic crash bodies identified

Filed under: Latest, Politics News — Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , — expressyoureself @ 1:17 pm

Atlantic crash bodies identified

Bodies from the Air France crash being unloaded at the Fernando de Noronha airport, 11 June 2009

Only 50 bodies from the Air France crash have been recovered so far

Officials in Brazil have identified the first 11 of 50 bodies recovered from the Air France disaster in which 228 people died three weeks ago.

The bodies were those of 10 Brazilians and one male foreigner, officials said. They gave no further details.

The Airbus A330 plunged into the Atlantic on 1 June. The data recorders have not been found, and the cause of the crash remains a mystery.

Search teams from several countries are still scanning the search area.

Investigators are examining the bodies and debris at a base set up in the northern Brazilian city of Recife.

Five of the victims were identified as Brazilian men, five as Brazilian women and one as a “foreigner of the male sex”, local officials said on Sunday. The nationality of the foreigner has not been revealed.

DNA samples

Dental records, fingerprints and DNA samples were used to identify the bodies, a statement said.

Families of the Brazilian victims and the embassy in Brazil representing the foreigner’s home country have been notified, the statement added, but the identities will not be publicised in keeping with relatives’ wishes.

Brazilian Navy ship Caboclo with plane debris  19.6.09

Debris from the plane is being brought back to Recife

Speculation about what caused the plane to go down between Rio de Janeiro and Paris has so far focused on the possibility that the airspeed sensors were not working.

The plane is known to have registered inconsistent speed readings just before it crashed in turbulent weather.

The plane’s “black boxes” can emit an electronic tracking signal for about 30 days and French-chartered ships are scouring the search area pulling US Navy underwater listening devices.

A French nuclear submarine is also involved in the search for the recorders, which could be up to 6,100m (20,000ft) deep, on the bed of the Atlantic.

US and Brazilian officials said on Sunday that so far no signals had been picked up.

August 7, 2008

Anwar Ibrahim charged with sodomy

Anwar Ibrahim charged with sodomy

Malaysian opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim waves as he leaves court

Mr Anwar was mobbed by supporters as he arrived in court

Malaysian opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim has been formally  charged with sodomising a former male aide.

Appearing in court in Kuala Lumpur, Mr Anwar pleaded not guilty and called the accusation “malicious”.

He has said the allegation is politically motivated. The 60-year-old was jailed after facing similar accusations 10 years ago.

Since his release he has been active in politics but, until recently, not able to officially run in elections.

Mr Anwar arrived at the main court in Kuala Lumpur amid chaotic scenes.

Dozens of supporters gathered as he emerged from his car – some shouting “reformasi”, the slogan of the movement he founded.

Revival

In court, Mr Anwar was charged with “carnal intercourse against the order of nature”.

Sodomy is illegal in Malaysia and he could face up to 20 years in jail if convicted.

After Thursday’s hearing, he was released on bail.

Mr Anwar led the new opposition coalition to strong gains in a general election earlier this year, and had said the claims are aimed at derailing his political revival.

The accusation is the same as the one he faced in 1998 – after he had been sacked as deputy prime minister.

He was convicted and served six years before the guilty verdict was overturned.

A recent opinion poll suggests that few Malaysians believe Mr Anwar committed the crime.

Mr Anwar has accused Prime Minister Abdullah Badawi of orchestrating a campaign against him – Mr Abdullah has denied this.

The charges was made just as Mr Anwar prepared to fight for a seat in parliament, after a ban on his seeking public office expired.

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.