News & Current Affairs

July 5, 2009

Young slumdog moves into new home

Filed under: Entertainment News, Latest, Politics News — Tags: , , , , , , , — expressyoureself @ 8:06 am

Young slumdog moves into new home

The block of flats where Ismail will live

Azharuddin’s mother says she is happy they have “a roof over our heads”

One of the child stars of the Oscar-winning film Slumdog Millionaire has moved from his Mumbai (Bombay) shanty dwelling into a new home in the city.

Azharuddin Ismail, who played the youngest version of the main character’s brother Salim, will now live in an upmarket suburb nearby.

He said his new home was “really nice” but he would miss his old friends.

A trust set up by the film’s producers bought the property after Azharuddin’s family was made to leave the slums.

The Jai Ho Trust, named after the film’s sound track, says it is still looking for a new home to buy for co-star Rubina Ali.

‘Roof over our heads’

Azharuddin, nine, and his family moved into the property in the Santa Cruz area of Mumbai after being given the keys on Friday.

Azharuddin Ismail prepares to pose for a photo outside his newly allocated apartment in central Mumbai on July 4, 2009.

Azharuddin says he will miss his old friends

“I like it here, it is really nice,” Azharuddin told Reuters news agency. “But I will miss my old friends back in Bandra. Maybe I will go and visit them once in a while.”

His mother said: “We have lived on the road for so many years. I had never dreamed that we would have a roof over our heads.”

Slumdog Millionaire won eight Oscars in February and has made more than $200m (£140m) in box office takings around the world.

Film director Danny Boyle has strongly denied charges of exploitation.

The Jai Ho Trust bought the property on Azharuddin’s behalf and it will become his when he turns 18 and finishes his education.

There was uproar in May when the family’s corrugated iron hut in the Gareeb Nagar area of Bandra was torn down for being illegal. Rubina Ali’s suffered a similar fate but she has yet to be rehoused.

Advertisements

August 14, 2008

No assault charge for Batman Bale

No assault charge for Batman Bale

Christian Bale

Christian Bale attended a police station by appointment

Batman star Christian Bale will not face charges over an alleged assault on his mother and sister during a row, the Crown Prosecution Service has said.

The actor, 34, was arrested in London last month and questioned over claims he had lashed out at his family members while staying at the Dorchester Hotel.

Mr Bale, who was in the UK to promote The Dark Knight, denied the charges.

A spokesman for the CPS said there was “insufficient evidence to afford a realistic prospect of conviction”.

“The police have been advised that no further action should be taken against Mr Bale.”

The actor’s publicist, Jennifer Allen, said in a statement that he was “relieved that this issue has been resolved and hopes to put the matter firmly behind him”.

She added: “Mr Bale considers this to be a deeply personal matter and would ask that the media respect both his and his family’s privacy.”

The star had earlier appealed for privacy when asked about the incident at a press conference in Barcelona last month.

Child star

Mr Bale’s sister Sharon, 40, shouted “it’s a family matter” at reporters who visited her home in Corfe Mullen, near Wimborne, Dorset.

And a man who answered the door at the home of his mother Jenny, 61, in Bournemouth, said she did not want to comment.

Mr Bale rose to fame as the child star of Steven Spielberg’s Empire of the Sun.

He went on to play Patrick Bateman in American Psycho, and had leading roles in Shaft and Captain Corelli’s Mandolin.

In 2005, he took on the role of the Caped Crusader in Batman Begins, and reprised the role in The Dark Knight.

Blog at WordPress.com.